Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Eurgrawn Wesleyaidd, Yr

The 'Wesleyan Magazine', the monthly magazine of the Welsh-speaking WMs was the longest running magazine in the Welsh language. It was founded in 1809, the same year as the establishment of Y Llyfrfa, the Welsh Book Room, and a mere nine years after Conference's decision to send Welsh-speaking missionaries to Wales. Initially, it was modelled closely on the Methodist Magazine from which much material was borrowed and translated. However, within a decade of its foundation it was developing into a genuinely Welsh publication with most of the material being original. A series of articles in the late 1820s provided invaluable information on the origins and development of Welsh Wesleyanism.

The Magazine was always edited by ministers, many of them among the most distinguished men in the Welsh Districts, including John Hughes, father of Dr.H. Maldwyn Hughes, in the late 1890s. In 1933, following Methodist Union, the title was shortened to Yr Eurgrawn. From 1962 it was published quarterly and this remained the pattern until 1983, when it merged into a new interdenominational magazine, Cristion (Christian).

Sources

  • W. Islwyn Morgan, 'The Welsh Wesleyan Magazine 1809-1983', in WHS Proceedings, 44 (December 1984) pp.168-73
  • Methodism in Wales, ed. Lionel Madden (2003), pp. 64-6

Entry written by: LM
Category: Publication

Comment on this entry