Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Equatorial Guinea

PM missionaries began work on the island of Fernando Po (known as Bioko after independence from Spain) in 1870. It was the springboard for the mission in eastern Nigeria and later on Methodism on the island ministered extensively to migrant Nigerian plantation workers. In 1956 there was a reported 700 members, with a community roll of 1,500. Links with Nigeria were severed when the colony became part of independent Equatorial Guinea, the plantation workers were expelled in 1973 and a period of persecution ensued, after which Methodism was compelled into a loose union with other Protestant groups.

Sources

  • H.B. Kendall, The Origin and History of the Primitive Methodist Church (1906), vol. 2 pp.487-97
  • N Boocock, Our Fernandian Missions (1912)

Entry written by: JRP
Category: Place

See also

Comment on this entry