Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Englesea Brook, Cheshire
http://www.engleseabrook-museum.org.uk

Click to enlarge

This was an early Primitive Methodist preaching place, appearing on the September-December 1811 preaching plan. A local resident, Sarah Smith, who ran a dame school, extended an invitation through those associated with William Clowes. A small chapel was built in 1828, enlarged in 1832 when Clowes returned to preach at the re-opening. Hugh Bourne often preached there, staying with his niece at a nearby farmhouse, and in 1852 was buried in the graveyard. In 1860 his brother James was buried in the same grave, and in 1889 Thomas Russell, who died at Dover, was brought to be buried as near to Bourne as possible. In 1983 the chapel was saved from closure and more recently a Museum of Primitive Methodism has been established there.

Sources

  • Geoffrey Milburn, Primitive Methodism (2002) pp.93-4

Entry written by: SGH
Category: Place

Comment on this entry