Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Edgehill College, Belfast

The Irish Methodist theological College. Prior to 1868 Irish ministers were trained in England. In that year Methodist College opened in Belfast and included a ministerial training department. This was moved in 1918 to a house called Edgehill and in 1928 Edgehill College was separately constituted. During the 1950s co-operation was developed with the Presbyterian Assembly's (now Union) College, training ministers for both Churches. In 1984 a lay training department, Edgehill Christian Education Centre, was opened, offering day, evening and correspondence courses. In 2002 the wing behind the college was reconstructed to provide a conference centre, more extensive library accommodation and storage and study facilities for the archives of the Wesley Historical Society in Ireland.

Sources

  • W.L. Northridge, The Story of Edgehill College (Belfast, 1952)

Entry written by: DALC
Category: School/College

Comment on this entry