Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Christian Community

This was a philanthropic and worshipping society originally founded by Huguenots in East London in 1685 and re-organized in 1772 under the patronage of John Wesley. Leading members were George and James Mackie, clock and watch makers of Windmill Hill, near the Foundery, who were members of the London society. Though independently administered and with their own preaching plan, its members were nevertheless treated as part of the membership of Wesley\'s Chapel. Because of their sympathy with the Reformers of 1849, many were expelled in 1850 and the work became totally independent, though there was some link-up with William Booth's 'Christian Mission'.

Sources

  • WHS Proceedings 20 pp.98-100

Entry written by: WP
Category: Organisation

Comment on this entry