Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Budleigh Salterton, Devon

'The Temple' was the name given by James Lackington to each of three chapels he built, of which the third was in Budleigh Salterton, where he retired in 1807. His house, Ash Villa, later became the manse, but was demolished in 1959. The chapel was built in 1812 in spite of disapproval by Lord Rolle, the leading local landowner, who retaliated by building a chapel of ease nearby. It remained Lackington's property until conveyed to the Wesleyans some years after his death in 1815. The new church which replaced it in 1905 was refurbished in 2005.

Sources

  • Methodist Recorder, 5 September 1957, 10 August 2012

Entry written by: RFST
Category: Place

Comment on this entry