Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Bradshaw, Jonas James
1837-1912

Founder in 1862 of the still continuing Bolton architectural practice of Bradshaw, Gass & Hope. His nephew John Bradshaw Gass (1855-1939) was articled to him in 1871 and became a partner in 1883. Both were Wesleyans. Arthur J. Hope (1875-1960) became a partner in 1902. The practice's output included public buildings, educational establishments, hospitals and industrial premises, the NCH's Edgworth home for the Barlow family. Among their ecclesiastical buildings were a number of WM Central Hallscentral halls: the Victoria Hall, Bolton (which led to the commision for the Leysian Mission, London, 1902-4), Liverpool central hall (1904-5), King's Hall, Bolton (1904-7) and Wigan central hall (1907-8). An outstanding overseas scheme was the WM (now CSI) church and college at Medak, India(1916-1925) for the work established there by C.W. Posnett.

He died on 28 April 1912.

Sources

  • Jane & Timothy Lingard, Bradshaw, Gass & Hope: the story of an architectural practice - the first one hundred years, 1862-1962 (2007)
  • Directory of British Architects 1834-1914

Entry written by: DCD
Category: Person

Occupations

Comment on this entry