Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Wiltonís Music Hall

Opened in 1858 in Graceís Alley, East London, as part of the Old Mahogany Bar, the music hall became part of the East End Mission in February1888 under the pioneer minister Peter Thompson. It reached it peak in the 1930s under the leadership of the lay pastor G.F. Dempster, with many forms of social outreach, But heavy bombing of the area during World War II followed by slum clearance left it in a dilapidated state. It was sold to a rag merchant, but under the leadership of the conservationist John Betjeman was saved from demolition and bought in 1964 by the British Music Hall Society.

Sources

  • Methodist Recorder, 13 May 1999

Category: Person

See also

Comment on this entry