Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Lambert, Albert Edward
1869-1929

Nottingham-based architect and Methodist, born at Manton, Rutland, on 27 May 1869 and in practice by 1901 until at least 1926. He was responsible for at least twenty Methodist churches, mainly in the Free Gothic style, although he used the Baroque for his major Wesleyan building, Albert Hall WM, Nottingham (1907-8).

Many of his chapels were in the East Midlands, including Woodborough Road WM , Mapperley (1903-4), Wycliff Memorial WM, Lutterworth (1904) and Castle DonIngton WM (1906). A series of commissions also came from Lincolnshire. Including Conigsby WM (1904), Heckington WM (1904-5); and Metheringham WM (1907). Further afield he was responsible in Yorkshire for Thorpe Hesley WM (1906-7), Thornton-le-Dale (1909), St, Johnís WM, Swinton (1910) and Sedbergh WM (1914). Other churches included in Cumpsall WM, Manchester (1909) and Aspinall WM, Gorton (1908-90 and in the London area, Winchmore Hill WM (1908-9) and Park Lane WM, Wembley (1924), which was possibly his last church.

His national reputation rests on his three Baroque style railway stations Ė Nottingham, Victoria for the Great Central and Great Northern Railways (1900); Nottingham, Midland (1902-4) and Leicester, Midland (1904), both for the Midland Railway. Other work included a flour mill at Worksop(1907) and a Masonic Lodge at West Bridgford (1909). He died at Nottingham on 5 November 1929.

Sources

  • Elain Harwood, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Nottingham (2008)

Entry written by: DCD
Category: Person

Occupations

Comment on this entry