Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Board of Management for Methodist Independent Schools
http://www.methodisteducation.co.uk

The Board was established by the Wesleyan MethodistConference in 1903, following the 1902 Education Act, initially to administer grants to its boarding schools. Appointed annually by Conference, by the end of the 20th Century it had become the legal governing body of nine schools: Culford, Edgehill, Farringtons, Kent College Canterbury, Kent College Pembury, Queen’s College, Taunton, Shebbear, Truro and Woodhouse Grove schools. While delegating extensive powers to the schools, it retained jurisdiction over the sale and disposal of property, loan negotiations and the appointment of Heads. The Conference of 2011 reconstituted the Board as the Methodist Independent Schools Trust (MIST).

Sources

  • History of the Methodist Church in Great Britain, 3 (1983) pp.301-2
  • G.M. Best, Shared Aims: A celebration of Methodism's involvement in education [2003]

Entry written by: DBT and JCAB
Category: Organisation

Comment on this entry