Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Joynson, C.W.D.
1862 - 1943

WM architect of Wednesbury and Darlaston. who served as a Wednesbury councillor, was the youngest mayor of Wednesbury in 1899 and became an alderman in 1925. He was one of the three directors of Nuts & Bolts (Darlaston) Ltd, incorporated 1912, which bought the Albion Works, Foster Street, Darlaston. His chapels tended to be in a late gothic style and included Becket Road WM (1899-1901), alterations to Bell Street PM (1908) and Slater Street PM (1909-1910), all in Darlaston; Wednesbury Road WM, Walsall (1899-1901); Trinity Congregational, Wednesbury (1904-5); and Wesley WM, Albert Road, Widnes (c.1904). Other buildings by him in Wednesbury included the Theatre Royal (1891), renamed the Hippodrome in 1910, the Imperial Picture House (1912), both in Upper High Street, and the Coronation Clock Tower in the Market Place (1911).

Entry written by: DCD
Category: Person

Occupations

Comment on this entry