Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Woodhouse, George
1829-1883

WM architect and a Conservative in politics, he was born in Lindley, Huddersfield, where he attended Zion MNC. Moving to Bolton at the age of fifteen, he was a member at Park Street WM and for a time played the organ at Bridge Street WM. Initially he was articled to James Whittaker. When Whittaker became a cotton spinner, he transferred to his brother, John Williamson Whittaker, subsequently becoming his partner.. It is reputed that Woodhouse was associated with more mill buildings than any other man in Lancashire. His Nonconformist chapels, in both Italianate and gothic styles, are spread across the north and beyond and includ Bank Street Unitarian, (1855-56, his first chapel) and Fletcher Street WM (1860-61), both in Bolton; Zion MNC chapel, (1864-66) and Sunday school (1873-74), Lindley, Wesley WM (1867-68), and Oakes Baptist (1867), all at Huddersfield; Marlborough Road WM, Banbury (1865); Dale Street WM, Leamington (1869-70); and Wordsworth Street WM, Penrith (1878); as well as the Didsbury College library (1883). From 1860 to 1872 he was in partnership with Edward Potts. Woodhouse’s practice became Woodhouse & Morley, a short time before Woodhouse’s death whilst temporarily living at Uttoxeter.. Subsequently it became W.J. Morley of Bradford which continued designing chapels, Morley completing posthumously some of Woodhouse’s chapels, including Trinity WM, Harrogate (1877-79) and Oldham Street WM Central Hall, Manchester (1885-86).

Sources

  • The Bolton Chronicle, 8 September 1883
  • Roger N Holden, Stott and Sons, architects of Lancashire

cotton mills (Lancaster, 1998)

  • Directory of British Architects 1834-1914

Entry written by: DCD
Category: Person

Occupations

Comment on this entry