Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Folkestone, Kent

The earliest reference to Methodism in the town is on a preaching plan in June 1824, nearly twenty years after the introduction of Methodism into nearby Hythe. The first meetings were in premises in Elgar’s Yard at the lower end of the town. In 1830 a chapel was opened in High Street, replaced in 1852 by a new chapel in Sandgate Road.

Folkestone became a separate circuit (from Dover) in 1864. Its first Superintendent was Dr.James H. Rigg, later President of the Conference. Since 2011 it has been part of the South Kent Circuit.

At Methodist Union, there were two Wesleyan churches in Folkestone: Grace Hill (1866) and Canterbury Road (1898). A new church, St. Andrew’s, Cheriton Road, opened in 1937.

Category: Place

Comment on this entry