Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Wymondham, Norfolk

The first evidence of Methodist activity was a visit of the young itinerant, Richard Reece, who in March 1789 preached at Sutton, a hamlet in the parish. The first services were held in cottages and barns. A chapel was built in another hamlet, Spooner Row, in 1814, but the first purpose-built chapel in the town was not opened until 1825. It was in Friarscroft Lane and belonged to the Norwich circuit.

Like so many Norfolk congregations, the society broke away from WM in 1850 and joined the Wesleyan Reformers, but did not last long. By 1874 a WM congregation, belonging to the Attleborough and New Buckenham Circuit, was once again worshipping in the town, in a former granary. A chapel was opened in 1879; it closed in 1933 and became a Masonic Hall.

A PM congregation, meeting in a cottage, was noted in 1823. From 1832 a succession of chapels were built. In 1841 meetings lapsed briefly as some members failed to meet the high standards demanded; but the congregation was reformed the following year. A PM plan for October 1833 to January 1834 listed societies at Wymondham and Wymondham Town; by 1835 there were four societies in the town. When the Norwich circuit was divided in 1837, the Town Green, Suton, Silfield and Wymondham Lizard societies were transferred to the Tibenham Branch, while Norwich Common remained in the Norwich Circuit. A new Town Green chapel was opened in 1871 and enlarged in 1880, with a schoolroom added in 1875 and a manse in 1878.

Following Methodist Union the WM congregation joined the PMs at the Town Green church. In 1968 the circuit was enlarged and became the Wymondham, Attleborough and Watton Circuit. In 1992 the Town Green Centre was built behind the church, largely from County Council funds, for use both by Methodism and as a MIND Day Centre.

Entry written by: NV
Category: Place

Comment on this entry