Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Warwick

In 1801 Thomas Facer, a Yorkshire stonemason, began to preach in his own house in the Saltisford and in the open air. A house in the town was licensed for nonconformist worship in 1804 and a room in Gerrard Lane (now Street) in 1810. The first purpose-built Methodist building (begun in 1820, but not opened until 1824, by the President, Dr. Robert Newton) gave its name to Chapel Street (formerly Mellows Lane). Due to a loss of members it closed in 1834 and was sold. But a second chapel, in Stand Street was opened in 1839, again by Dr. Newton. This was sold to the PMs in 1863, when it was replaced by Market Street. The PMs in turn sold it in 1924, after a long struggle to clear the debt.

The fourth church, at Northgate, dates from 1893, but the Market Street premises continued to be used for Sunday School and weekday activities until a new hall was opened next to the present church in 1961. Northgate Church underwent a complete renovation for its centenary.

None of the previous buildings, including a daughter chapel in Avon Street (1838-1968) has survived.

Warwick was included in the Banbury WM circuit in 1815 and transferred to the Coventry circuit in 1817. It became part of the Leamington circuit when that was formed in 1837.

Sources

  • P. Bolitho, The Story of Warwick Methodism:a Centenary Celebration of Two Hundred Years (1993)

Entry written by: PB
Category: Place

Comment on this entry