Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Walker, Solomon

A silk manufacturer of Bridge Street, Dublin, he had a great concern for the poor, and particularly for orphans. After hearing John Wesley preach, he became a Methodist. In 1777 he was one of thirty-four members who resigned from the Whitefriar Street society following accusations deemed to be false, but he continued to worship there. He died suddenly when thrown from his horse in 1804, and left a sum of 2,150 to establish the Methodist Female Orphan School for ten girls. It began in Whitefriar Street in 1806 and continued for nearly a century and a half at various other locations. In 1943 the last address was sold, and a Trust established to educate orphan girls in Wesley College.

Sources

  • D. A. L. Cooney, The Methodists in Ireland (Dublin, 2001)

Entry written by: DALC
Category: Person

Comment on this entry