Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Vinter family of Cambridge

Charles Vinter, a leading Cambridge Methodist, was born at Godmanchester. Moving to Cambridge at 18, he became a University robe-maker. Influenced by Charles Simeon he joined the Green Street society, becoming a class leader and local preacher. He was the driving force behind the scheme to build Hobson Street chapel and served on the trusts of Hobson Street and Hills Road. He was prominent in the move to build Foxton chapel, but was unsuccessful in establishing a cause at Trumpington. His memorial tablet at Hobson Street was transferred to Wesley Church.

His son Dr. Arthur Vinter (d. 2 February 1915) read natural science at Gonville & Caius, Cambridge. He was W.F. Moulton's second-in-command for eight years at The Leys School before becoming headmaster from 1883 to 1914 of Woodhouse Grove when it was refounded. He was the first lay headmaster to take charge without a ministerial 'Governor'. Though not authoritarian in manner, he had 'a dignified presence, a capacity for hard work and perseverance', and was 'deeply religious, a man of wide interests and a staunch Methodist'. Under him the school prospered despite financial and other constraints and its buildings developed from 'a collection of shanties, fronted by an imposing fašade' to 'one of the smartest school buildings in Yorkshire'.

Another son, James Vinter was an alderman on Cambridgeshire County Council. He was instrumental in the sale of Hobson Street chapel and the building of Wesley Chapel.

Sources

  • Frank Tice, The History of Methodism in Cambridge (1966) pp.27-8
  • F.C. Pritchard, The Story of Woodhouse Grove School (1978)

Category: Person

Occupations

Comment on this entry