Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Trinity Hall, Southport

The school opened in Southport in 1872 on a site donated by John Fernley as a boarding school for daughters of Methodist ministers. Its junior house Wintersdorf began as a school opened by Miss Simon, the sister of John S. Simon. The school was supported by connexional funds. Until 1906 girls left at the age of 16, but increasing opportunities in higher education led to the addition of an extra year. After a period of growth and academic success lasting into the 1960s, the Management Committee reported a financial deficit and the school was closed in 1970.

See also Lonsdale, Marjorie

Sources

  • Nancy Matthews (ed.), Memories of Trinity Hall School (Cambridge, 1984)
  • Rawcliffe, Margaret (ed.), Trinity Hall School, Southport, 1872-1970 (Llandulas, 1986)
  • [handlist of the] Archives of Trinity Hall and Wintersdorf Schools... (Manchester, 2005)

Entry written by: DBT
Category: School/College

Comment on this entry