Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Torbay, Devon

Torbay comprises the towns of Torquay, Paignton andBrixham. Torquay grew in the nineteenth century into an affluent watering place with a correspondingly varied and distinguished list of churches and chapels for residents and visitors. There were WM, BC and PM churches, as well as a single MNC mission chapel, the only one in Devon. The great Union Street WM chapel of 1879, seating 1,150, was replaced in 1976 by the distinctive modern Central Church (Methodist/URC).

The BC Conference of 1877 met in their Torre Chapel.

Entry written by: RFST
Category: Place

Comment on this entry