Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Stoke-upon-Trent

A Stoke-upon-Trent society, with 13 members, was in the new Burslem Circuit formed from Macclesfield in 1783. Lewis Bostock, an ironfounder, acquired sites for a chapel (1799) and a Sunday School (1805). Wesley Chapel (1816) seated 900. The first known Methodist Building Society was formed in the Wesleyan schoolroom in Cross Street in 1846.

Mount Zion MNC chapel (1816) opened nearby, on the site of an earlier one registered in 1806. Houses were registered for PM worship at Penkhull (1819) and Stoke Lane (1820). The PM chapel in Penkhull (registered in 1830) was replaced in 1836. The second PM chapel in Stoke in John (now Leese) Street (1834) was succeeded by chapels in Queen Street and Londsdale Street (1878). Stoke and Penkhull Methodists now worship in part of the Epworth Street Youth Centre, built in 1957. In 2012 the congregations of Trent Vale and Wesley united to build a new church, which opened in 2015 as 'the West End Community Centre and Café.

Sources

  • H. Eva Beech, History of Wesley Methodist Church, Stoke, 1799-1999 (Stoke-on-Trent, 1999)

Entry written by: JHA
Category: Place

See also

Comment on this entry