Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Sowerby Bridge (Yorks)

A Methodist society existed in this expanding riverside settlement near Halifax by 1782. Successive chapels were built in 1787, 1806 and 1832. The deed drawn up for the conveyance of the site of the imposing Bolton Brow chapel became the model deed for all future transactions of this kind throughout the WM Connexion. In 1979 the former Bolton Brow WM society amalgamated with the former Tuel Lane UMFC/UM society, and after the latter's premises were burned down in 1988 impressive new premises were opened in 1991 by Kathleen M. Richardson. In 1997 the Sowerby Bridge Circuit, now reduced to two churches, became part of the new Elland and Ryburn Circuit.

Sources

  • John A. Hargreaves, Sowerby Bridge in Old Photographs (Otley, 1994)

Entry written by: JAH
Category: Place

Comment on this entry