Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Shum (or Schumm) family

Five brothers emigrated from Niederstettin, Germany in the 1770s and 1780s, settling in Bath, where they became associated with the Methodists. The oldest, John Jacob Shum prospered in Bath as a baker and became an enthusiastic and generous Methodist, affectionately known as 'Daddy Shum'. He was a class leader and chapel steward and an assiduous visitor of the poor and sick. He outlived his younger brothers, dying in 1822.


The second brother, George Shum, also settled in Bath and was attracted to the Moravians, but served as a society steward.

Frederick Shum, a pork butcher, became a class leader and local preacher; his five children were all baptized in New King Street chapel.

The fourth brother, John Michael Shum (d. 1831), came to England early in the 1780s and he too settled in Bath and was a class leader, local preacher and society steward. His son, also John Michael, was musically gifted and became the organist at New King Street at the age of 12. He held the post for 64 year, dying in 1872. He and his wife, Mary, were strong missionary supporters, and their daughter Caroline Meta Shum became the second wife of Luke H. Wiseman and a key figure in the development of Women\'s Work. Another of their daughters, Mary Shum, was the grandmother of Dr. Wilbert F. Howard. Their youngest daughter, Sarah Shum was the mother of Dr. William T. Davison.

The youngest of the brothers, Yerrick, had poor health and played a less prominent part in Bath Methodism, but was a class leaderfor many years.

A cousin of the five brothers, John Caspar Shum (1760-1836) was born in Niederstettin, came to England with John Michael Shum in the early 1780s. He first encountered the Methodists in Bath, but settled in London, becoming class leader, steward and trustee at Great Queen Street chapel. He died on 7 April 1836. He and other members of his family were buried at Wesley\'s Chapel.

Sources

  • WM Magazine, 1824, p.719; 1825, p.649-54; 1827, p.719; 1831, pp.877-8, 879; 1832, p.158-9; 1836, p.399
  • G.J. Stevenson, City Road Chapel (1872) p.468
  • Methodist Recorder, Winter Number, 1893 pp.76-81
  • Bruce Crofts (ed.), At Satan's Throne: the story of Methodism in Bath (1990), pp. 51-3, 98-101

Entry written by: JAV
Category: Person

Comment on this entry