Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Primitive Methodist Magazine

In April 1818 Hugh Bourne printed a small magazine of 24 pages under the title A Methodist Magazine... conducted by the Society of people called Primitive Methodists. A second number was printed in July. It was largely a failure, but a second attempt to introduce a magazine was made in 1819, with William Goodrich, a preacher in Loughborough, as editor. It was called A Methodist Magazine... conducted by the camp meeting Methodists. There were eight monthly parts and then no more until June 1820. Bourne was officially appointed editor from 1820 and it was renamed the Primitive Methodist Magazine. In 1831 it became octavo in size and continued as such until 1898 when the page size was enlarged and the title became The Aldersgate Primitive Methodist Magazine. As with other connexional magazines, it included portraits of the travelling preachers and their obituaries as well as of many prominent lay members. There were also reports from the circuits, news of chapel openings and anniversaries, extracts from preachers' journals and foreign mission reports. The final issue was in August 1932.

Entry written by: WL
Category: Publication

See also

Comment on this entry