Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Original Methodists

There were no fewer than three serious divisions within Nottinghamshire PM between 1829 and 1839, centred on the Nottingham, Bingham, Belper and Mansfield areas. The division arose during the Superintendency in the Belper Circuit of William Carthy, ostensibly over ministerial payment. They were joined by a second stream from the Mansfield Circuit. The Original Methodists in the Belper and Mansfield circuits were the largest and longest surviving group, extending at one stage into Derbyshire and strong enough to have their own monthly publication, The Original Methodist Record, A Free Gospel Magazine. All three groups held 'Free Gospel' convictions similar to those of IM, the Nottingham and Bingham groups ultimately uniting with that body. The 'Originals' (also known as the 'Selstonites' from the village where the schism first occurred) remained independent until the 1870s, when some of the surviving societies returned to PM whilst most linked with the UMFC. The link with churches having a paid and separated ministry appears odd for a group which had resisted union with Independent Methodism because of the IM's occasional practice of supporting evangelists financially.

Sources

  • William Parkes, 'The Original Methodists, Primitive Methodist Reformers', in WHS Proceedings, 35 pp.57-64
  • D.M. Grundy in WHS Proceedings , 35 pp.116-121, 149-53, 170-72, 189-95; 36 pp.22-27, 49-58, 80-85, 115-18, 143-48, 181-86

Entry written by: WP
Category: Denomination

Comment on this entry