Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

New London Initiative

In 1910 theMetropolitan Chapel Fund was merged with the London Mission Fund in order to 'carry the gospel to such regions of London as are the most spiritually destitute and degraded'. Simpson Johnson was appointed Secretary of the new London Mission and Extension Fund, bringing together the interests of mission and property. An appeal was launched to raise 150,000. In the following years a new generation of Central Halls were built in strategic locations, such as Dagenham, Southall, Tooting, Uxbridge and Archway (North London). Joseph Rank, converted under Johnson's ministry, was a very generous, though anonymous, benefactor, giving over half a million pounds to found these Central Halls. In 1939 there were over 100 Mission Centres served by 80 ministers plus lay workers, deaconesses, sisters and doctors. In that year over 113,000 Londoners attended clinics at these centres to consult a doctor.

Sources

  • London Mission Report, 1985

Entry written by: JWH
Category: Subject

Comment on this entry