Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Missionary ships

The scarcity and unreliability of shipping in the Pacific prompted the WMMS to acquire its own vessel, the Triton, bought with a grant from the 1839 *Centenary Fund. In 1846 it was sold and a larger and swifter vessel, the John Wesley, was built. Management of the ship passed to the Australasian Conference when it became autonomous in 1855. In 1858 it was almost wrecked and in 1865 it foundered on a Tongan reef. A replacement, the John Wesley II, was built in Aberdeen and sailed in 1867. Management reverted to the WMMS in 1873 and it was sold in 1881, made redundant by a more regular shipping service.

Entry written by: JRP
Category: Subject

Comment on this entry