Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Methodist International Houses

The first House, a former hotel acquired through the exertions of Hilda Porter, was opened in Bayswater, London in 1950 to provide a home for overseas students. Others followed in a dozen other university cities. Some later closed as new higher education policies led to changed needs. Bayswater MIH was replaced in 1998 by a modern building near Euston, with residential and non-residential facilities. This building is now operated as ‘The Wesley’, an ethically based hotel with meeting facilities, intended to generate income for the Methodist Church, including for the benefit of international students.

Sources

  • MIH Silver Jubilee 1950-75 (London, 1975)
  • Brian Frost, with Stuart Jordan, Pioneers of Social Passion (Peterborough, 2006)

Entry written by: JRP
Category: Subject

Comment on this entry