Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Hughes, Henry Trevor
1910-1988; e.m.1935

The son of H. Maldwyn Hughes, he was born on 27 February 1910 in Wallasey and educated at the Perse School, Cambridge. He worked in banking before training for the ministry at Wesley House, Cambridge. He gained his Cambridge MA in 1938 and Oxford MA in 1969. He was chaplain at Culford School 1935-1941 and RAF chaplain 1941-1945. Appointed Vice-Principal of Westminster College in 1946, he became Principal in 1953, oversaw the college's move to Oxford in 1959 and forged links with the University. He was the first Methodist to become a Select Preacher at the University. Retiring in 1969, he served as headmaster of a rural school in Norfolk until 1975 and retained an active involvement in educational affairs. His books include Prophetic Prayer (1947), The Piety of Jeremy Taylor (1960) and A Progress of Pilgrims (1979). He died on 26 April 1988.

Sources

  • Methodist Recorder, 8 October 1959; 19 May 1988

Entry written by: JAV
Category: Person

Comment on this entry