Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Hill, William
1828-1889

Methodist New Connexion architect, educated at the West Riding Proprietary School, Wakefield. He commenced his architectural practice inLeeds in 1850 after being articled to Perkin & Backhouse and was elected to the RIBA in 1871. From the 1868 uintil at least 1877 he was in partnership with Salmon L. Salmon, probably with a second office in Sheffield. He designed public buildings, notably Bolton Town Hall (1865) and Portsmouth Guildhall (1886-90); premises for Poor Law Unions; cemeteries, such as at Chichester (1857); the Corn Exchange at Banbury (1857); educational premises, such as Barnsley Mechanics Institute (1878), as well as domestic and commercial premises.

He designed many Nonconformist chapels, especially for the Methodist New Connexion and many of their main northern ones were by him, including Woodhouse Lane, Leeds (1853-8), where he attended, Mount Tabor, Stockport, (1865-8), Christ Church, Barrow (1875); Manville, Bradford (1875), as well as alterations to Bethesda, Hanley (1887). Commissions came from leading MNC families such as the Hepworths of Leeds and Firths of Sheffield, where he was also the architect of Ranmoor College (1862-4), the Connexionís ministerial training college, and the Firth Almshouses (1871).

Sources

  • D. Colin Dews, in Christopher Webster (ed), Building a Great Victorian City Leeds architects and architecture, 1790-1914 (2011), pp.373-381
  • Christopher Webster, 'The rewards for diligence and prudence: the exemplary career of William Hill (1827-1889)' in Christopher Webster (ed.), The Practice of Architecture: eight architects, 1830-1930 (Reading, 2012), pp.79-105.
  • Directory of British Architects 1834-1914

Entry written by: DCD
Category: Person

Occupations

Comment on this entry