Home | Search | Help
Version: 1.2

Go to WHS website

Gunton, Josiah
1861-1930

WM architect, born at Manea, Cambs. He was circuit steward in the London (Clapton) Circuit c.1899 and a member of the London First District Synod. He was elected to the City of London Corporation in 1904 and later became a London County Council alderman. He died on 5 March 1930 at Monaco

He was in partnership with Henry Thomas Gordon and E.J. Lowther, as Gordon, Gunter & Lowther (1898-1902), Gordon & Gunton (1902-1910) and with his son William Henry Gunton (1887-1974) as Gunton & Gunton (from 1910). The various partnerships had a considerable domestic, commercial and public output, as well as some significant WM buildings. WM Central Halls included West Ham (1903), Chatham (1907), Kingsway Hall, London (1911), Hackney (1926-27) and the Leysian Mission chapel (1953-55), and all the chapels in the Surrey and North Hants Mission, including Petersfield (1903), Midhurst (1904) and Church Street, Basingstoke (1906). Other WM chapels included: Muswell Hill, London (1898-1904), Sudbury, Essex (1902), Hugh Price Hughes Memorial, Godalming (1904), Trinity, Sutton (1907), Coulsdon Road, Caterham (1910), Centenary, *Boston (1910), Brighton Road, Coulsdon (1911), Wesley, Bishop Auckland (1911), Wesley, Cambridge (1913), Boscombe, Bournemouth (1930-31) and Clapton, London (1955).

Their other buildings included Epworth House, City Road, London (1930s), Farringtons School, Chiselhurst (1910-12 and 1925), Kingswood School Memorial Chapel (1920-22) and the Queen Victoria Seamen's Rest, East London (c.1955).

Sources

  • Directory of British Architects 1834-1914

Entry written by: DCD
Category: Person

Occupations

Comment on this entry